Communities across the U.S. are responding to the PFAS contamination crisis by organizing and advocating for safe drinking water. This map shows sites with known contamination and where organizations are working for stronger health and environmental protections. Plug into a group working in your community, form a new group, or connect with others facing similar challenges.
Is there a PFAS contamination site near you? Use our interactive map to find out.
- Each red dot represents a site contaminated with PFAS.
- Click on a dot to learn more about the site.
- Click on a state to get information about all sites as well as community groups, health studies, and resources available in that state.
* This map focuses on sites where PFAS have been detected in the environment (groundwater, soil, and surface water), or in drinking water where the contamination is linked to a specific source and not merely the result of testing a water supply system.
Connect with Alabama
Alabama Contamination Areas
- Centre3M and Carpet makers and suppliers in the Dalton, GA areaLocation Centre, Cherokee County, AlabamaDate 2016PFAS contamination source Industry / Manufacturing
- Decatur3M manufacturing facility in DecaturLocation Decatur, AlabamaDate 2007 (Alabama Dept. of Environmental Management )Community response Concerned Citizens of WMEL have worked with NYELJP and the Evironmental Subcommittee of the National Lawyer's Guild dedicated to the question of clean water (NYELJP blog post). Reverse osmosis filtration system demanded in lawsuit will be constructed from October 2019 - December 2020 (Brentzel 2019).PFAS contamination source Industry / Manufacturing
- Fort Payne3M and Carpet makers and suppliers in the Dalton, GA areaLocation Fort Payne, Dekalb County, AlabamaDate 2014-2015Community response An Environmental Advocacy group known as the Tennesee Riverkeeper announced in 2015 their intentions to sue 3M over the continuing disposal of PFAS around Decatur (Pillion 2015)PFAS contamination source Industry / Manufacturing
- Gadsden3M and Carpet makers and suppliers in the Dalton, GA areaLocation Etowah County (Gadsden, Rainbow City and Southside), AlabamaDate 2016PFAS contamination source Industry / Manufacturing
Alabama Community Groups
- Concerned Citizens WMEL Water Authority GrassrootsThe Concerned Citizens of WMEL Water Authority Grassroots Community is committed to sharing data and news regarding the West Morgan and East Lawrence area of Alabama soil, land, and waterways contamination concerns. Our role is to inform, engage, and ignite the citizens to have the information necessary to make wise decisions concerning their health, their choices regarding water usage, as well as protect their families from contamination.Location West Morgan and East Lawrence CountiesContact Email firstname.lastname@example.orgContact Phone 256-565-5565
Alabama PFAS Exposure and Health Studies
We are not aware of any health or exposure studies in this state.
Alabama Agency Websites
- Alabama Department of Environmental Management
- Alabama Department of Public Health