Communities across the U.S. are responding to the PFAS contamination crisis by organizing and advocating for safe drinking water. This map shows sites with known contamination and where organizations are working for stronger health and environmental protections. Plug into a group working in your community, form a new group, or connect with others facing similar challenges.
Is there a PFAS contamination site near you? Use our interactive map to find out.
- Each red dot represents a site contaminated with PFAS.
- Click on a dot to learn more about the site.
- Click on a state to get information about all sites as well as community groups, health studies, and resources available in that state.
* This map focuses on sites where PFAS have been detected in the environment (groundwater, soil, and surface water), or in drinking water where the contamination is linked to a specific source and not merely the result of testing a water supply system.
Connect with Alaska
Alaska Contamination Areas
- Eielson AFBFirefighting foam used at Eielson Air Force BaseLocation Moose Creek, Fairbanks North Star Borough, AlaskaDate 2015Community response The community voiced concerns regarding the financial impact of the water utility rates associated with Alternatives proposed by the TCRA but were interested in the details of switching their water soure to come from the North Pole WTP (EAFB, AL 2015)PFAS contamination source Military - Air Force Base
- Fairbanks Regional Fire Training Center/Fairbanks International AirportFirefighting foam used from 1984 to 2004 in fire training exercises at the Regional Fire Training Center, and at Fairbanks International Airport since the 1980sLocation Fairbanks, AlaskaDate RFTC : 2015 FAI: 2017Community response The Alaska Community Action on Toxics along with affected communiy members have been attending meetings regularly. Affected community member David Berrey has started an organization called WATER (Wake up, Alaskans, to the Toxic Environmental Reality) (Ellis 2017)PFAS contamination source Civilian Airport; Fire Training Center
- Former Amchitka Air Force BaseFirefighting foam used at Former Amchitka Air Force BaseLocation Aleutian Islands, AlaskaDate 2017Community response No info foundPFAS contamination source Military - Air Force Base
- Galena Forward Operating LocationFirefighting foam used at Galena Forward Operating LocationLocation Galena, AlaskaDate 2017Community response No info foundPFAS contamination source Military-Air
- Gustavus AirportFirfighting foam used at Gustavus AirportLocation Gustavus, AlaskaDate 2018PFAS contamination source Civilian Airport
- Naval Base Kitsap - Naval Arctic Research Lab BarrowFirefighting foam used at Naval Base Kitsap - Naval Arctic Research Lab BarrowLocation Utqiaġvik, AlaskaDate 2017Community response No info foundPFAS contamination source Military-Naval Base
Alaska Community Groups
- Wake Up Alaskans to the Toxic Environmental Reality (WATER)
Alaska PFAS Exposure and Health Studies
- ATSDR PFAS Exposure Assessment in Fairbanks, AKLocation Fairbanks North Star BoroughLearn more at https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/pfas/activities/assessments/sites/fairbanks-north-star-borough-ak.htmlDate 2019Type of study Exposure assessmentStudy conducted by Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease RegistryPFAS contamination source Eielson Air Force Base
Alaska Agency Websites
- Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation
- Alaska Department of Health and Social Services