Communities across the U.S. are responding to the PFAS contamination crisis by organizing and advocating for safe drinking water. This map shows sites with known contamination and where organizations are working for stronger health and environmental protections. Plug into a group working in your community, form a new group, or connect with others facing similar challenges.
Is there a PFAS contamination site near you? Use our interactive map to find out.
- Each red dot represents a site contaminated with PFAS.
- Click on a dot to learn more about the site.
- Click on a state to get information about all sites as well as community groups, health studies, and resources available in that state.
* This map focuses on sites where PFAS have been detected in the environment (groundwater, soil, and surface water), or in drinking water where the contamination is linked to a specific source and not merely the result of testing a water supply system.
Connect with Florida
Florida Contamination Areas
- Cape Canaveral Air Force StationFirefighting foam used at Cape Canaveral Air Force StationLocation Cape Canaveral, FloridaDate 2017PFAS contamination source Military - Air Force Base
- Eglin AFBFirefighting foam used at Eglin Air Force BaseLocation Okaloosa County, FloridaDate 2017PFAS contamination source Military - Air Force Base
- Florida State Fire CollegeFirefighting foam used at FSFCLocation Ocala, FloridaDate Sept 2018Community response After a resident was notified that her private drinking well was contaminated with PFAS, she warned her neighbors and friends. One of these friends, who lives in a neaby mobile home park, began to call the Marion and Alachua County health departments, who both told her that they thought the issue was "nothing." After the Times/Herald began inquiring about the testing, officials finally came to test the mobile home park water a month after they tested her neighbor's well, confirming a few weeks later that her well did have PFOA+PFOS more than 20 times higher than EPA's recommended drinking water level. "They were trying to cover it up... Why should I have to look on the Internet for answers?" "They didn't do what they're supposed to do... They're supposed to help people but they're not helping us. They messed up. They need to fix it." (Gross, Koh. Tampa Bay Times. Jan 3 2019.)PFAS contamination source Firefighting Training
- Kennedy Space CenterFirefighting foam used at Kennedy Space CenterLocation Merritt Island, Brevard County, FloridaDate 2018PFAS contamination source NASA
- NAS JacksonvilleFirefighting foam used at NAS JacksonvilleLocation Jacksonville, FloridaDate 2017PFAS contamination source Military - Air Force Base
- Naval Air Station Pensacola (OLF Bronson & OLF Saufley Field)ECUA wells contaminated by firefighting foam used at NAS Pensacola/Pensacola Intl Airport, and by waste disposal/manufacturing emissions at Solutia Chemical company's Pensacola plant.Location Pensacola, Escambia County, FloridaDate 2006Community response In May 2016, the executive director of the Clean Water Network of Florida, Linda Young, sent a letter to the EPA asking for additional testing of ECUA wellsPFAS contamination source Industry / Manufacturing; Military-Naval Base
- Naval Air Station Whiting FieldFirfighting foam used at NAS Whiting FieldLocation Milton, Santa Rosa County, FloridaDate 2017PFAS contamination source Military - Naval Base
- Patrick Air Force BaseFirefighting foam used at Patrick Air Force BaseLocation Brevard County, FloridaDate 2017Community response Some residents say that chemicals from Patrick AFB caused an unusually high rate of Hodgkin’s lymphoma in the late 1960’s and 1980’s in the small South Patrick Shores subdivision, and have connected widespread groundwater contamination across the county to Patrick AFB.PFAS contamination source Military - Air Force Base
- Satellite Beach / Cocoa Beach, Brevard CountyFirefighting foam used at Patrick Air Force BaseLocation Brevard County, FloridaDate 2018Community response The city drilled and sampled 3 groundwater monitoring wells after an oncologist who graduated from Satellite High School had raised concerns about a possible cancer cluster. The level of public worry reached such a level that environmental activist Erin Brockovich visited the area in September.PFAS contamination source Military - Air Force Base
- StuartFirefighting foam used during training drills at the Stuart fire department and airport.Location Stuart, FloridaDate 2016PFAS contamination source Civilian Airport and Fire Department
Florida Community Groups
- Fight For ZeroFight For Zero is a nonprofit organization founded by a group of cancer survivors affected by water contamination in Florida. Our mission is to improve the quality of life for Floridians and future generations by fighting for zero pollution in the water, air, and soil.Location Patrick Air Force Base, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Kennedy Space Center and other PFAS contaminated areasContact Name Stel BaileyContact Email email@example.comContact Phone 321-289-0280
Florida PFAS Exposure and Health Studies
We are not aware of any health or exposure studies in this state.
Florida Agency Websites
- Florida Department of Environmental Protection