Communities across the U.S. are responding to the PFAS contamination crisis by organizing and advocating for safe drinking water. This map shows sites with known contamination and where organizations are working for stronger health and environmental protections. Plug into a group working in your community, form a new group, or connect with others facing similar challenges.
Is there a PFAS contamination site near you? Use our interactive map to find out.
- Each red dot represents a site contaminated with PFAS.
- Click on a dot to learn more about the site.
- Click on a state to get information about all sites as well as community groups, health studies, and resources available in that state.
* This map focuses on sites where PFAS have been detected in the environment (groundwater, soil, and surface water), or in drinking water where the contamination is linked to a specific source and not merely the result of testing a water supply system.
Connect with Massachusetts
Massachusetts Contamination Areas
- Barnes Air National Guard Base / Westfield-Barnes Regonal AirportFirefighting foam used at Barnes Air National Guard BaseLocation Westfield, MassachusettsDate 2013PFAS contamination source Military - Air National Guard Base
- Barnstable County Fire Rescue Training Academy / Barnstable Municipal AirportFirefighting foam used by Barnstable County Fire Rescue Training Academy and Barnstable Municipal AirportLocation Hyannis & Town of Barnstable, MassachusettsDate 2016PFAS contamination source Fire Training Center; Civilian Airport
- Bedford Naval Weapons Industrial Reserve PlantFirefighting foam used Bedford Naval Weapons Industrial Reserve PlantLocation Bedford, Middlesex County, MassachusettsDate 2017PFAS contamination source Military-Naval Base
- Former Fort Devens / Devens Reserve Forces Training AreaFirefighting foam used at Former Fort Devens; currently Devens Reserve Forces Training AreaLocation Devens, Middlesex & Worcester Counties, MassachusettsDate 2017PFAS contamination source Military
- Joint Base Cape CodFirefighting foam used at Joint Air Force Base Cape CodLocation Barnstable County, MassachusettsDate 2015PFAS contamination source Military - Air Force Base
- Naval Air Station South WeymouthFirefighting foam used at Naval Air Station South WeymouthLocation Weymouth/Rockland/Abington, MassachusettsDate 2017PFAS contamination source Military - Air National Guard Base
- Town of AyerFirefighting foam used at Former Fort Devens; currently Devens Reserve Forces Training AreaLocation Ayer, MassachusettsDate 2016Community response Laurie Nehring, president of People of Ayer Concerned about the Environment, hopes the military will finance a new $4.2 million treatment plant to filter PFASs. “We expect the Defense Department will live up to its word,” she said. “If they don’t, we’ll be putting pressure on them in every way we can.” (Abel, Boston Globe. March 6 2018)PFAS contamination source Military
- Westover Air Reserve BaseFirefighting foam used at Westover Air Reserve BaseLocation Hampden County, MassachusettsDate 2017PFAS contamination source Military - Air Force Base
Massachusetts Community Groups
- GreenCAPEThe Mission of GreenCAPE is to increase public awareness of the risks of pesticides and other chemicals to health and the vulnerability of the Cape Cod water supply. We educate the public and encourage the use of safer alternatives to polluting chemicals above the Cape's EPA-designated Sole-Source Aquifer--our only drinking water supply. We research, compile and distribute information about pesticides and other pollutants, and provide free informative events with the goal of ensuring clean water for the health of residents, visitors, wildlife and the local economy.Location Hyannis, Barnstable, MAContact Name Sue PhelanContact Email info@GreenCAPE.orgContact Phone 508-494-0276
- Massachusetts Breast Cancer CoalitionMassachusetts Breast Cancer Coaltion's mission is the prevention of environmental causes of breast cancer through community education, research advocacy, and changes to public policy.Contact Name Cheryl OsimoContact Email email@example.comContact Phone 508-246-3047
- Nantucket PFAS Action GroupIt is the desire of Nantucket PFAS Action Group to protect the island for generations to come by utilizing research to advocate for preventative health awareness, growing our educational platform, and eradicating PFAS sources and contamination on Nantucket.Location Nantucket, MAContact Name Jaime HonkawaContact Email firstname.lastname@example.orgContact Phone 310-625-7277
- People of Ayer Concerned About the Environment (PACE)PACE is a nonprofit organization formed originally to address environmental contamination issues stemming from the former Fort Devens, which is a superfund site. With the assistance of a TAG grant from EPA, we have overseen and had input into numerous remediation projects that impacted soil, groundwater and surface water. PFAS is a new chemical of concern found in public water supplies of both Ayer and Devens.Location Ayer & Devens, MA- Worcester & Middlesex CountyContact Name Laurie NehringContact Email LNehring100@gmail.com
- Tipping PointTo educate for responsible development that which protects the long term sustainability of Nantucket’s finite resources, infrastructure and natural environment and educate/encourage Nantucket’s Town officials and leadership to do the sameLocation NantucketContact Name Meghan PerryContact Email email@example.com
- Westfield Residents Advocating for Themselves (WRAFT)Formed by a small group of concerned residents on February 22, 2017, WRAFT's mission is to provide community education and advocacy for the residents of Westfield, MA impacted by the pollution of their natural resources.Location Westfield
- We Want Answers Hudson MAWith an unusually high number of cancer cases in Hudson over the years, this page is dedicated to finding out why. Please like, share and join!Location HudsonContact Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Massachusetts PFAS Exposure and Health Studies
- ATSDR Multi-Site Health Study in Hyannis and Ayer, MALocation Hyannis and AyerDate Beginning Fall 2019Type of study Health study on human health effects of PFAS exposure through drinking waterStudy conducted by Silent Spring Institute
- ATSDR PFAS Exposure Assessment in Hampden County, MALocation Hampden CountyDate 2019Type of study Exposure assessmentStudy conducted by Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease RegistryPFAS contamination source Barnes Air National Guard Base
- Mass PFAS-Cov StudyLocation Western MassachusettsDate Actively recruiting participantsType of study A research study investigating immune response to COVID-19 vaccines in relation to Exposure to Per- and Polyfluorinated Substances (PFAS).Study conducted by University of Massachusetts Amherst, Westfield Residents Advocating for Themselves, Greater Westfield & Western Hampden County Medical Reserves Corps Inc
- PFAS-REACH Children's Health StudyLocation Hyannis, MA and Pease Tradeport, NHDate Enrollment beginning Fall 2019Type of study Health study on the immunotoxic effects of PFAS exposure from drinking water on preschool aged childrenStudy conducted by Silent Spring Institute, Michigan State University, Northeastern University, Testing for Pease, Massachusetts Breast Cancer Coalition
Massachusetts Agency Websites
- Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection
- Massachusetts Environmental Toxicology Program