Communities across the U.S. are responding to the PFAS contamination crisis by organizing and advocating for safe drinking water. This map shows sites with known contamination and where organizations are working for stronger health and environmental protections. Plug into a group working in your community, form a new group, or connect with others facing similar challenges.
Is there a PFAS contamination site near you? Use our interactive map to find out.
- Each red dot represents a site contaminated with PFAS.
- Click on a dot to learn more about the site.
- Click on a state to get information about all sites as well as community groups, health studies, and resources available in that state.
* This map focuses on sites where PFAS have been detected in the environment (groundwater, soil, and surface water), or in drinking water where the contamination is linked to a specific source and not merely the result of testing a water supply system.
Connect with Minnesota
Minnesota Contamination Areas
- 3M's Cottage Grove facility and landfillsThe 3M Company's Cottage Grove facilityLocation Washington County, Minnesota (Cottage Grove, Woodbury, Oakdale, Lake Elmo)Date 2006PFAS contamination source Industry / Manufacturing
- BemidjiFirefighting foam used at Bemidji Regional AirportLocation Bemidji, MinnesotaDate 2011PFAS contamination source Civilian Airport
- BrainerdLocation Brainerd, Crow Wing County, MinnesotaPFAS contamination source Industry / Manufacturing
Minnesota Community Groups
We are not aware of any community groups in this state addressing PFAS issues.
Minnesota PFAS Exposure and Health Studies
- East Metro PFC Biomonitoring ProjectLocation Oakdale, Lake Elmo and Cottage Grove, MNLearn more at https://www.health.state.mn.us/communities/environment/biomonitoring/projects/pfas.htmlDate 2008-2014Type of study Biomonitoring study on PFAS levels in residents of East Metro areaStudy conducted by Minnesota Department of HealthPFAS contamination source Disposal of PFAS contaminated waste
Minnesota Agency Websites
- Minnesota Department of Health
- Minnesota Pollution Control Agency