Communities across the U.S. are responding to the PFAS contamination crisis by organizing and advocating for safe drinking water. This map shows sites with known contamination and where organizations are working for stronger health and environmental protections. Plug into a group working in your community, form a new group, or connect with others facing similar challenges.
Is there a PFAS contamination site near you? Use our interactive map to find out.
- Each red dot represents a site contaminated with PFAS.
- Click on a dot to learn more about the site.
- Click on a state to get information about all sites as well as community groups, health studies, and resources available in that state.
* This map focuses on sites where PFAS have been detected in the environment (groundwater, soil, and surface water), or in drinking water where the contamination is linked to a specific source and not merely the result of testing a water supply system.
Connect with New Hampshire
New Hampshire Contamination Areas
- AmherstFormer location of Textiles Coated International (TCI)Location Amherst, New HampshireDate 2016PFAS contamination source Industry / Manufacturing
- BedfordSaint-Gobain Performance PlasticsLocation Bedford, New HampshireDate 2016PFAS contamination source Industry / Manufacturing
- DoverFormer Madburry Metals facilityLocation Dover, New HampshireDate 2016PFAS contamination source Industry / Manufacturing
- Former Pease Air Force BaseFirefighting foam used at former Pease Air Force BaseLocation Portsmouth, New HampshireDate 2014PFAS contamination source Military - Former Air Force Base, Current ANG Base
- LitchfieldSaint-Gobain Performance PlasticsLocation Litchfield, New HampshireDate 2016PFAS contamination source Industry / Manufacturing
- MerrimackSaint-Gobain Performance PlasticsLocation Merrimack, New HampshireDate 2016Community response Merrimack Citizens for Clean Water: https://www.cleanwaternh.org/PFAS contamination source Industry / Manufacturing
- New Boston AFSFirefighting foam used at New Boston Air Force StationLocation Hillsborough County, New HampshireDate 2017PFAS contamination source Military - Air Force Base
- NewingtonFirefighting foam used at DFSP Newington and Pease AFBLocation Newington, New HampshireDate 2017PFAS contamination source Military - Air Force
- North Hampton & GreenlandDumping of PFAS-containing waste at Coakely landfillLocation Hampton/North Hampton, New HampshireDate 2016PFAS contamination source Landfill; Car Wash
- WindhamIndustrial emissions from Central Metal Finishing Inc. facilityLocation Windham, New HampshireDate 2017PFAS contamination source Fire Station
New Hampshire Community Groups
- Greenland Safe Water ActionThe Greenland Safe Water Action mission is to protect our water and protect our property values by working to access municipal water for the residents living around Coakley dump.
- Merrimack Citizens for Clean WaterWe are an advocacy and education group formed to support the needs of PFAS impacted communities in Southern NH. Our activities have been focused on local, state and federal engagement, providing resources, accurate information and support to community members who are not getting the answers and protections they expected. We believe that residents who have been exposed need and deserve the answers to stopping exposure and finding our way forward.Location Saint Gobain/TCI contamination investigation area of 65 square miles including Merrimack, Bedford, Litchfield, Amherst, NHContact Name Laurene AllenContact Email email@example.comContact Phone 603-424-5478
- New Hampshire Safe Water AllianceNH Safe Water Alliance has accomplished much since its January 2017 inception. To date, the Alliance has used only personal funds of its founders and volunteers and has: 1) Created a core group of committed citizens and officials, meeting regularly to develop strategies; 2) Registered NHSWA’s name with the NH Secretary of State; 3) Developed and sponsored 4 pieces of groundbreaking legislation for water safety and chronic disease monitoring based on environmental exposure; 4) Advocated for baseline PFC testing of nearly 80 private wells; 5) Raised private funds for follow-up PFC testing of 3 contaminated private wells; 6) Raised private funds for surface water testing near the Superfund site; 7) Advocated for and received an EPA surface water contamination standard; 8) Developed GIS maps and a database of PFC private well water testing results; 9) Inventoried state and federal health and water quality data reports; 10) Created NHSWA collateral materials; 11) Made numerous presentations to community groups; 12) Presented questions and findings to state and federal regulators at multiple meetings; 13) Developed relationships with local media to create public awareness; 14) Developed a tutorial kit for citizens’ legislative action; 15) Provided research, testimony, advocacy and support for state legislation; and, 16) Participated in the Governor’s Pediatric Cancer Cluster Task Force
- Testing for PeaseTesting for Pease is a community action group that formed in 2015 in response to PFAS water contamination discovered at the former Pease Air Force Base. Our mission is to be a reliable resource for education and communication while advocating for a long-term health plan on behalf of those impacted by the PFAS water contamination at the former Pease Air Force Base in Portsmouth, NH.Location Former Pease Air Force Base in Portsmouth, NHContact Name Andrea AmicoContact Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your Turnout Gear and PFOA"We are a husband and wife team sharing the discovery of PFOA in firefighter turnout gear used as a water repellent. The manufacturers would not provide the answers we were seeking which led us to the extreme length of securing Dr. Graham Peaslee of Notre Dame University to test new, never-worn gear for us. The results were shocking and led to the discovery of a textile signature precursor that forms PFOA in 'hours to days' along with finding PFOA in the dust of firehouse dust samples. Our issue is complicated further with lies and omissions as the makers of our gear fibers and coatings are immersed in firefighter cancer prevention, but refuses to acknowledge PFOA and now short-chain replacements are a concern."Contact Name Diane CotterContact Email email@example.comContact Phone 508-769-9869
New Hampshire PFAS Exposure and Health Studies
- ATSDR Pease Health StudyLocation Pease TradeportDate Beginning Fall 2019Type of study Health study to study health effects of PFAS exposure through drinking water
- Merrimack Citizens for Clean Water Community Health SurveyLocation MerrimackDate 2017; will be started againType of study Community health surveyStudy conducted by Merrimack Citizens for Clean WaterPFAS contamination source St. Gobain/Chemfab manufacturing plant
- Merrimack Village District Community Exposure AssessmentLocation MerrimackDate 2016Type of study Exposure assessment of residents affected by PFAS contamination of drinking waterStudy conducted by Department of Health and Human ServicesPFAS contamination source AFFF and St Gobain
- Pease PFC Blood Testing ProgramLocation Pease TradeportDate 2015Type of study Exposure assessment of individuals who drank PFAS contaminated drinking water at the Pease Tradeport
- PFAS-REACH Children's Health StudyLocation Pease Tradeport, NH and Hyannis, MADate Enrollment beginning Fall 2019Type of study Health study on the immunotoxic effects of PFAS exposure from drinking water on preschool aged childrenStudy conducted by Silent Spring Institute, Michigan State University, Northeastern University, Testing for Pease, Massachusetts Breast Cancer Coalition
New Hampshire Agency Websites
- New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services
- New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services PFAS Map
- New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services