Communities across the U.S. are responding to the PFAS contamination crisis by organizing and advocating for safe drinking water. This map shows sites with known contamination and where organizations are working for stronger health and environmental protections. Plug into a group working in your community, form a new group, or connect with others facing similar challenges.
Is there a PFAS contamination site near you? Use our interactive map to find out.
- Each red dot represents a site contaminated with PFAS.
- Click on a dot to learn more about the site.
- Click on a state to get information about all sites as well as community groups, health studies, and resources available in that state.
* This map focuses on sites where PFAS have been detected in the environment (groundwater, soil, and surface water), or in drinking water where the contamination is linked to a specific source and not merely the result of testing a water supply system.
Connect with New York
New York Contamination Areas
- Air National Guard Base at Gabreski AirportSuspect AFFF used at base from 1970s until phase out in 2004.Location Westhampton Beach, New YorkDate 2014PFAS contamination source Military - Air National Guard Base
- DFSP VeronaFirefighting foam used at DFSP VeronaLocation Verona, New YorkDate 2017PFAS contamination source Military
- East Hampton AirportFirefighting foam used at AirportLocation East Hampton Town & Wainscott, Suffolk County, New YorkDate 2017PFAS contamination source Civilian Airport
- Former Griffiss AFBFirefighting foam used at Former Griffiss Air Force BaseLocation Rome, New YorkDate 2017PFAS contamination source Military - Former Air Force Base
- Former Plattsburgh Air Force Base; now Plattsburgh International AirportFirefighting Foam used at Plattsburgh Airforce BaseLocation Plattsburgh, New YorkDate 2014PFAS contamination source Military - Former Air Force Base; Civilian Airport
- Fort DrumFirefighting foam used at Fort DrumLocation Fort Drum (CDP), Jefferson County, New YorkDate 2017PFAS contamination source Military - Army
- Hampton Bays Fire StationFirefighting foam used at Fire StationLocation Hampton Bays, New YorkDate 2017PFAS contamination source Fire Station
- Hoosick FallsSaint-Gobain Performance Plastics and Honeywell manufacturing plantLocation Hoosick Falls, New YorkDate 2015Community response The town of Hoosick and village of Hoosick Falls are forming a working group of residents and business owners to participate in discussions on cleanup work at PFOA-contaminated sites. The Paige Group, an independent, third-party facilitator, has been engaged to help form and manage what will be called the Hoosick Area Community Participation Work Group, designed to provide local residents with a voice and encourage discussion about the Hoosick area state Superfund sites and related water quality projects. - Bennington Banner (see link in column Q)PFAS contamination source Industry / Manufacturing
- Naval Weapons Industrial Reserve Plant, CalvertonFirefighting foam used at Naval Weapons Industrial Reserve Plant, CalvertonLocation Riverhead, New YorkDate 2017PFAS contamination source Military-Navy
- PetersburghTaconic Plastics Limited factory (owned by Saint-Gobain)Location Petersburgh/Rensselaer County, New YorkDate 2016, but DEC had documents showing high PFOA in 2004PFAS contamination source Industry / Manufacturing
- Seneca Army Ammunition PlantFirefighting foam used, or industrial emissions at Seneca Army Ammunition PlantLocation Seneca County, New YorkDate 2017PFAS contamination source Military - Army
- Stewart ANGB / Marine Corps Reserve Training Center (MCRTC) StewartFirefighting foam used at Stewart Air National Guard BaseLocation Newburgh, New YorkDate 2014PFAS contamination source Military- Air National Guard; Navy (Marine Corps)
- Suffolk County Firematics Training FacilityFirefighting foam used at Suffolk County Firematics Training FacilityLocation Yaphank, Suffolk County, New YorkDate 2017PFAS contamination source Fire Training Center
- Westchester County AirportFirefighting foam used at Westchester County AirportLocation Westchester County, New YorkDate 2017PFAS contamination source Civilian Aiport
New York Community Groups
- Newburgh Clean Water ProjectNCWP is a nonpartisan grassroots group of Newburgh residents whose mission is to protect the City’s access to clean drinking water and engage the local and regional community in watershed protection and restoration for the wellbeing of current and future generations.Location Stewart National Guard BaseContact Name Karen CisselContact Email email@example.comContact Phone 845-391-6971
- NY Water ProjectWe're citizens from #HoosickFallsNY on a mission to spread awareness on toxic polluted #water and it's effects. This isn't just a NY issue it's worldwide! #PFOALocation Hoosick Falls
- PFOA in your WaterThis page is designed to inform the community of Hoosick Falls about the dangers of PFOA's.Location Hoosick Falls
- #pfoaprojectnyFamily and friends living in the first Federal Superfund site for PFOA dedicated to sharing information, data, research experiences, and every bit of knowledge we can find regarding PFAS exposure and pushing for regulations to stop this toxic nightmare from affecting more families and children.Location Hoosick FallsContact Name Loreen HackettContact Email LLHackett@yahoo.comContact Phone 518-892-5913
- Quassaick Creek Watershed AllianceLocation Newburgh
- Rockland Water CoalitionRockland Water Coalition: regional civic & environmental groups opposed to desalination of the Hudson River water & advocate sustainable water management policies.Contact Email firstname.lastname@example.org
New York PFAS Exposure and Health Studies
- ATSDR Multi-Site Health Study in Hoosick Falls and Newburgh, NYLocation Hoosick Falls and NewburghDate Beginning Fall 2019Type of study Health study on human health effects of PFAS exposure through drinking waterStudy conducted by University at Albany, SUNY and New York State Department of Health
- ATSDR PFAS Exposure Assessment in Orange County, NYLocation Orange CountyDate 2019Type of study Exposure assessmentStudy conducted by Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease RegistryPFAS contamination source Stewart Air National Guard Base
- ATSDR PFAS Exposure Assessment in Westhampton, NYLocation WesthamptonDate 2019Type of study Exposure assessmentStudy conducted by Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease RegistryPFAS contamination source Gabreski Air National Guard Base
- Hoosick Falls Drinking Water Area Response - Biomonitoring Study, Round 1Location Hoosick Falls, Hoosick, Petersburgh and Washington CountyDate 2016Type of study Biomonitoring study for residents of the Hoosick Falls area affected by PFOA water contaminationStudy conducted by New York State Department of HealthPFAS contamination source St. Gobain/Chemfab manufacturing plant
- Hoosick Falls Drinking Water Area Response - Biomonitoring Study, Round 2Location Hoosick Falls, Hoosick, Petersburgh and Washington CountyDate OngoingType of study Biomonitoring study for residents of the Hoosick Falls area affected by PFOA water contaminationStudy conducted by New York State Department of HealthPFAS contamination source St. Gobain/Chemfab manufacturing plant
- Newburgh Area PFAS Biomonitoring StudyLocation NewburghLearn more at https://www.health.ny.gov/environmental/investigations/newburgh/docs/infosheetgroupresults.pdfDate 2016Type of study Biomonitoring study for people in the Newburgh area exposed to PFAS contaminated drinking water
New York Agency Websites
- New York Department of Environmental Conservation
- New York State Department of Health