Communities across the U.S. are responding to the PFAS contamination crisis by organizing and advocating for safe drinking water. This map shows sites with known contamination and where organizations are working for stronger health and environmental protections. Plug into a group working in your community, form a new group, or connect with others facing similar challenges.
Is there a PFAS contamination site near you? Use our interactive map to find out.
- Each red dot represents a site contaminated with PFAS.
- Click on a dot to learn more about the site.
- Click on a state to get information about all sites as well as community groups, health studies, and resources available in that state.
* This map focuses on sites where PFAS have been detected in the environment (groundwater, soil, and surface water), or in drinking water where the contamination is linked to a specific source and not merely the result of testing a water supply system.
Connect with South Dakota
South Dakota Contamination Areas
- Ellsworth AFBFirefighting foam used at Ellsworth Air Force BaseLocation Box Elder, South DakotaDate 2014PFAS contamination source Military - Air Force
- Sioux Falls Regional Airport / Joe Foss Field Air National Guard BaseFirefighting foam used at Sioux Falls Regional Airport. The Sioux Falls Fire Department was responsible for fire protection at the airport from 1970 to 1991, when the South Dakota Air National Guard took over firefighting responsibilities at the airport, conducting tests and training primarily on its base near the southern end of the airport’s two runways.Location Sioux Falls, South DakotaDate 2013PFAS contamination source Militray - Air National Guard; Civilian Airport
South Dakota Community Groups
We are not aware of any community groups in this state addressing PFAS issues.
South Dakota PFAS Exposure and Health Studies
We are not aware of any health or exposure studies in this state.
South Dakota Agency Websites
- South Dakota Department of Environment and Natural Resources
- South Dakota Department of Health