Communities across the U.S. are responding to the PFAS contamination crisis by organizing and advocating for safe drinking water. This map shows sites with known contamination and where organizations are working for stronger health and environmental protections. Plug into a group working in your community, form a new group, or connect with others facing similar challenges.
Is there a PFAS contamination site near you? Use our interactive map to find out.
- Each red dot represents a site contaminated with PFAS.
- Click on a dot to learn more about the site.
- Click on a state to get information about all sites as well as community groups, health studies, and resources available in that state.
* This map focuses on sites where PFAS have been detected in the environment (groundwater, soil, and surface water), or in drinking water where the contamination is linked to a specific source and not merely the result of testing a water supply system.
Connect with Vermont
Vermont Contamination Areas
- Bennington/North BenningtonFormer Chemfab manufacturing plant, later purchased by Saint-Gobain and H.C. White CompanyLocation Bennington & North Bennington, VermontDate 2016PFAS contamination source Industry / Manufacturing
- Chittenden CountyVermont Air National Guard base, Pittsford Fire Academy, IBM and Champlain Cable plantsLocation Chittenden County, VermontDate 2016PFAS contamination source Naval Base; Fire Training Center; Industry/Manufacturing
- PownalFormer Warren Wire plant, now owned by Mack MoldingLocation Pownal, VermontDate 2016PFAS contamination source Industry / Manufacturing
- Rutland-Southern Vermont Regional Airport business parkFirefighting foam used during training at the airport and a 1986 plane crash site thereLocation Clarendon, VermontDate 2018PFAS contamination source Civilian Airport
- Warren Elementary SchoolSource unknownLocation Warren, Washington County, VermontDate 2018PFAS contamination source Unknown
Vermont Community Groups
We are not aware of any community groups in this state addressing PFAS issues.
Vermont PFAS Exposure and Health Studies
- PFOA Community Health QuestionnaireLocation Bennington, VT; Hoosick Falls and Petersburgh, NYLearn more at https://www.bennington.edu/center-advancement-of-public-action/environment-and-public-action/understanding-pfoaDate 2018Type of study Community health surveyStudy conducted by Bennington CollegePFAS contamination source St. Gobain/Chemfab manufacturing plant
- Vermont Department of Public Health PFOA Exposure AssessmentLocation BenningtonDate 2016-2017Type of study Exposure Assessment of PFOA exposure from contaminated drinking waterStudy conducted by Vermont Department of HealthPFAS contamination source St. Gobain/Chemfab manufacturing plant
Vermont Agency Websites
- Vermont Department of Environmental Conservation