Communities across the U.S. are responding to the PFAS contamination crisis by organizing and advocating for safe drinking water. This map shows sites with known contamination and where organizations are working for stronger health and environmental protections. Plug into a group working in your community, form a new group, or connect with others facing similar challenges.
Is there a PFAS contamination site near you? Use our interactive map to find out.
- Each red dot represents a site contaminated with PFAS.
- Click on a dot to learn more about the site.
- Click on a state to get information about all sites as well as community groups, health studies, and resources available in that state.
* This map focuses on sites where PFAS have been detected in the environment (groundwater, soil, and surface water), or in drinking water where the contamination is linked to a specific source and not merely the result of testing a water supply system.
Connect with Virginia
Virginia Contamination Areas
- Joint Base Langley-EustisFirefighting foam used at Joint Base Langley-EustisLocation Hampton & Newport News, VirginiaDate 2017PFAS contamination source Military - Joint Base
- NALF FentressFirefighting foam Naval Auxiliary Landing Field FentressLocation Chesapeake, VirginiaDate 2016PFAS contamination source Military-Naval Base
- NASA Wallops Flight CenterFirefighting foam used at Wallops Flight CenterLocation Wallops Island & Town of Chincoteague, VirginiaDate 2017PFAS contamination source Military - NASA
- Naval Air Station OceanaFirefighting foam used at FieldLocation Virginia Beach, VirginiaDate 2016PFAS contamination source Military-Naval Base
- Norfolk Virginia Naval BaseFirefighting foam used at Norfolk Virginia Naval BaseLocation Norfolk, VirginiaDate 2017PFAS contamination source Military-Naval Base
- RichmondDuPont's Spruance plantLocation Richmond, VirginiaDate 2006PFAS contamination source Industry / Manufacturing
Virginia Community Groups
We are not aware of any community groups in this state addressing PFAS issues.
Virginia PFAS Exposure and Health Studies
We are not aware of any health or exposure studies in this state.
Virginia Agency Websites
- Virginia Department of Environmental Quality
- Virginia Department of Health