Communities across the U.S. are responding to the PFAS contamination crisis by organizing and advocating for safe drinking water. This map shows sites with known contamination and where organizations are working for stronger health and environmental protections. Plug into a group working in your community, form a new group, or connect with others facing similar challenges.
Is there a PFAS contamination site near you? Use our interactive map to find out.
- Each red dot represents a site contaminated with PFAS.
- Click on a dot to learn more about the site.
- Click on a state to get information about all sites as well as community groups, health studies, and resources available in that state.
* This map focuses on sites where PFAS have been detected in the environment (groundwater, soil, and surface water), or in drinking water where the contamination is linked to a specific source and not merely the result of testing a water supply system.
Connect with Washington
Washington Contamination Areas
- Fairchild Air Force BaseFirefighting foam used at Fairchild Air Force BaseLocation Airway Heights, WashingtonDate 2017Community response Airway Height Water Crisis Community Service group page created on Facebook in immediate response; inactive since Jan 2018, 46 members. Community water contamination forum held by Spokane Riverkeeper April 2019 with regional ATSDR rep and other experts (Sokol 2019) (Gonzaga Law Service 2019). No other types of organization known. "I think everyone would feel better if we had a completely clean source of water,"-Kevin Anderson, resident (Elder 2019)PFAS contamination source Military - Air Force Base
- IssaquahFirefighting foam used at Eastside Fire RescueLocation Issaquah, WashingtonDate 2016Community response None. City was the discovering entity; took steps immediately.PFAS contamination source Fire Station; Tanker crash site
- Joint Base Lewis-McChordFirefighting foam Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM)Location Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WashingtonDate 2017Community response None, Military took wells above the LHA offline before releasing information to publicPFAS contamination source Military - Joint Base
- Naval Air Station Whidbey IslandFirefighting foam used at BaseLocation Whidbey Island, WashingtonDate 2016PFAS contamination source Military-Naval Base
Washington Community Groups
- Citizens of Ebey’s ReserveCitizens of the Ebey’s Reserve, or COER, is a non-profit group on Whidbey Island, WA. It is our goal to relocate Growler Jet flight carrier landing practice operations to an environmentally suitable and welcoming location. Our mission is to protect the health and welfare of the inhabitants of the region, including the marine, migratory and endangered species, and to preserve Whidbey Island and the historic northwest communities being threatened by military jet training flights.Location Whidbey IslandLearn more at https://citizensofebeysreserve.com/?fbclid=IwAR0ur6LnHv_Z0sTc_A64pOiLRSwc6DYipMU4AkQwO9V0ePYhSP6d3JkXLR4Contact Email email@example.com
Washington PFAS Exposure and Health Studies
- ATSDR PFAS Exposure Assessment in Spokane County, WALocation Spokane CountyDate 2019Type of study Exposure assessmentStudy conducted by Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease RegistryPFAS contamination source Fairchild Air Force Base
Washington Agency Websites
- State of Washington Department of Ecology
- Washington State Department of Health
- Washington State Department of Natural Resources